Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sherlock: The Reichenbach Fall

"Steven Moffat isn't afraid to kill off his characters."

That is what my husband kept saying before we watched the season finale of "Sherlock." I insisted that since the show was doing so well, there was no way that it wouldn't be renewed for a third season, and my hubby so kindly pointed out that "it's the BBC." After all of that, I fully expected that Sherlock would die. I never expected that he would do so in such a spectacular fashion.

I've read Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, and I've seen the recent Sherlock Holmes movies, but BBC's "Sherlock" takes the prize both for most devious Moriarty and for most intense Sherlock death scene. To be sure, Moriarty is always evil, but in "Sherlock" he utterly destroys Holmes, leaving him no choice but to commit suicide. And he's played everything so perfectly that the world thinks that Sherlock is a fraud who made up all of the cases that he solved. I tell you, it was intense.

Sherlock calls John, tells him that he was indeed a fraud, and jumps from a building as John watches. Good ole' Watson, though, refuses to believe that Sherlock was lying to him and stands at Sherlock's headstone months later, begging him to still be alive ... which he is, of course.

But how? Perhaps we shall find out in season 3, set to air in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment